User Interface Design and Development
Spring 2007 Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Department of Industrial Engineering
1 Understand the importance of the Human Computer Interaction process.
2. Learn the basics of persona, task analysis and scenarios.
3. Design the experiments for listening lab and discount usability studies
4. Learn the concept of lo-fi prototyping and interaction prototyping.
5. Acquire the ability to conduct the usability experiments
6. Learn the recent development in web technology and its applications.
7. Know the recent research topics for the Human Computer Interaction field.
1. Intro to Human Computer Interaction
2. UI Design Cycle, User-Centered Design
3. Goals, Personas, Task Analysis, Scenarios
5. Design Techniques
6. Usability Engineering Methods
7. Discount Usability Engineering
8. Heuristic Evaluation
9. Cognitive Issues and Human Abilities
10. Usability Testing
11. Advanced Topics:
a. For Practitioners: The Recent Development in Web Technology and Its Opportunities
b. For Researchers: The Advanced Research Topics in Human Computer Interactions
1 Project proposals (3rd week)
2 Project personas and goals (4th week)
3 Scenarios, tasks, and initial sketches (5th week)
4 Individual design practice (6th week)
5 Lo-Fi prototype and test (8th week)
6 First interactive prototype (10th week)
7 Class presentation (10th week)
8 Project heuristic evaluation (11th week)
9 Second interactive prototype (13th week)
10 Usability test (14th week)
11 Class presentations (15th week)
12 Third prototype and project write up (Finals week)
(This is a tentative schedule)